Header Image

100 Years

Poças is the Portuguese side of the history of the Douro region. Founded in 1918, it is one of the few Port wine companies that was born Portuguese and has belonged to the same family since its foundation. In 2018, Poças is writing a new chapter in its story: the 100th anniversary celebration.

Over the last century, the passion for wine has been passed on for generations, and it is now being run by the fourth generation. They ensure the continuity of the project daily, bringing in a new vision and reinventing the family’s legacy.

With eyes set on the future, but not never forgetting the past, Poças believes that making wine is creating something truly unique, like a work of Art. Perhaps that is why they have assumed from very early a special connection with different artistic movements, supporting and recognising Portuguese talent in its most varied forms of expression.

In the year of the centenary, Poças is once again at the service of Art, supporting a group of national young talents, who are also the heirs of a family vocation, with a cultural calendar ranging from Literature to Theatre, Music and Urban Art.

History

Founded in 1918 by Manoel Domingues Poças Junior, it is a family-owned and independent company producing Port and DOC Douro wine, which is exported to the four corners of the world.

The company is run by the founder’s grandchildren, Jorge Poças Pintão and Acácio Poças Maia.

The 4th generation is also involved in the business: Jorge Manuel Pintão (Oenology), Maria Manuel Maia (Viticulture), Pedro Poças Pintão (Commercial Director) and Paulo Pintão (Accounting), thus preserving the family tradition and ensuring the future.

The company headquarters are located in Vila Nova de Gaia, where, in addition to the Port wine cellars, are also a modern bottling line, the administrative and commercial services. The Oenology Department has a modern laboratory for analysis and quality control.

The assets of the company also include three properties in the Douro Demarcated Region, with more than 100 hectares of vineyard.

Newsletter